More blogs about pitbull pit bull dog travel southern california.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Non-profit for Dogs and the Story of Finnegan



I've mentioned this organization in another post, but, whenever I can, I try to do work for Orthodogs Silver Lining Foundation (OSLF). It's all-volunteer, internet-based and it's a 501(c)(3)non-profit (in other words, donations are tax-deductible). They help rescues and service and companion dog-owners get funding for canine orthopedic medical care. They will also help service dogs get other essential medical funds.

There is a holiday matching fund donation up right now for $2500 so, if you have a small amount you want to donate, now is a great time since it will be doubled!! If you have a little more money, there are a couple of nice OSLF offers with donations for $25 and then $50+ range.

I would like to mention a few of the reasons I love to work with OSLF:
- All the money goes to the dogs - being all volunteer and internet makes so much more possible
- We get to help some wonderful animal rescues when dogs in their care need surgery
- The OSLF board is painstaking in getting a thorough background on all applicants (this, of course, is more about people problems than anything about the pups)
- Although, our emails are usually business related, it's always obvious how much everyone cares about the animals we're helping. There was an off-topic email yesterday - that involved animals - and the responses to it made me feel quite at home. When an OSLF volunteer shared these pictures and story you might have already seen:

A baby squirrel was rescued by a woman (Debby Cantlon) who named it Finnegan.


Finnegan was adopted by Cantlon's pregnant Papillon, Mademoiselle Giselle.



When the pups were born, the squirrel basically became part of the litter.





We all commented. I like the fact I wasn't the only one who was worried about what happened to the squirrel (I looked it up - it lives happily in the wild with other squirrels). I like that someone in the group had always wanted a pet squirrel - and it wasn't me...(although - after seeing these pictures....) Separate from that, I also like that dogs and squirrels can live in harmony - to me, after some of the dogs I've known, that's equal to the lion and the lamb....

,

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Carina said...

I'll check that site...if they accept Paypal (I'm guessing they do) maybe I'll dump my small PP balance on them!
I've seen those Papillon & squirrel photos before, that's really cute.
I still don't want a squirrel as a pet though. :) I like them outside, but they can be aggressive little suckers! I have a couple who live in the big maple in my back yard who like to terrorize my poor little Rottweilers LOL.

3:04 AM  
Blogger Jill Bryant said...

Carina -
That would be so great! It's all for the dogs which is a good feeling. Non-profits can be funny. I try and give a little here and there - mainly animal causes - and some are just discouraging because I know they spend more money sending me letters for more money than I will ever give them.

What is it about squirrels and dogs!? When Honey tore her ligament, it was a direct result of that squirrel terrorization and her desperate attempts to catch them...

6:22 AM  
Blogger Opy - the Original GruffPuppy said...

Hey Honey,

Welcome to www.dogswithblogs.com.au - great to have you here, and I am sure you will make lots of friends :-)

Love
Opy

1:19 AM  
Blogger Carina said...

They just got $10.00 from me. :)
Funny you should mention that - last summer Daphne dislocated her knee (vet massaged it back in place and she was OK) while out in the back yard. Maybe she did it going after a squirrel....

3:32 AM  
Blogger Jill Bryant said...

Yay! That's great - thanks!!!
Hmmm....maybe squirrels are in league with vets - the vets are keeping them rolling in nuts!

8:01 AM  
Blogger skinnylittleblonde said...

TY for your link to OSLF. I have a brother who is legally blind & one day he will probaly need a service dog (for now he just has his two resue dogs)& with his limited income, I'm sure he could not afford proper care should that dog break a leg or something. All is good now with him, but I know it is not for others out there right now.
Who is matching the money raised i wonder. Either way, I will follow the lead set & paypal some mula their way.
Thanks again for the info.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Jill Bryant said...

SB -
That's wonderful your brother has two rescues. Medical care for animals is frighteningly high so it's amazing how little support is given to those who depend on them. We even had an application from someone who owned a retired police dog. You'd think the dog had earned a right to medical care - especially because with it, they have the opportunity to enjoy many more years of good dog life...

I thank you from OSLF and all the pups, of course!!!

6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I'm so late in getting to this! I think it's really cool (a)that you work with OSLF (b)that you are using your blog as a way to drive $$ and interest to OSLF and (c) that you blogged about Finnegan!
Honey (and others' dogs, it appears) might have a love/hate relationship with squirrels, but who couldn't love one named Finnegan!

4:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home