More blogs about pitbull pit bull dog travel southern california.

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Dog Collars



It all started with Goth's new electric-blue collar.

Goth is a very sweet Rottweiler-Weimaraner mix that lives next door and she's a friend of Honey.

Goth had some initial reservations about Honey and her demanding muzzle-kissing and otherwise enthusiastic greetings but, Honey was not to be denied. Goth finally had to give into Honey's charms and now they have a great time. Goth comes out to play in the yard, they run together to greet the dog passersby and Honey has Goth's back when Goth must warn the world of the dangers of streetcleaners. And, it's nice to see that, even though Goth has some years on Honey, she often is the one to get the games going with circular leaping and a doggy playbow.




Honey also needed a new collar and I wanted one that was as flattering on Honey as Goth's. I also wanted something a little feminine because, even one litter later, Honey is called "he" by a lot of people meeting her. Well, the pickings were quite slim at the pet store and at her daycare. All kinds of collars for smaller dogs but not much for a bigger neck. I did find this one which, I didn't think was great but I thought was very friendly looking - and, it is reflective at night.


Our friend Marc really hated it though and went out and got her a different one. His thinking was, rather than getting a contrasting color, a collar should match her fur. I think the one he bought does look really nice on her - but, is it feminine? I don't think so. I even think it looks somewhat military, like a camouflage design, although it's called "moss."

So I'm continuing to look - online now. My only real requirement is that it is a "breakaway" collar. It's a requirement at both Honey's day cares and it is supposed to help prevent accidental injuries or worse that apparently are not uncommon in the home.

I've found some beautiful ones at Mrs. Bones . A lot to choose from but I'm partial to these:




Orvis has some collars that aren't as pretty but are very practical. You can personalize them with your dog's (short) name and telephone number

and even find one that glows in the dark.

I also liked quite a few from The Pampered Pup. A collar with bees on it for a dog named Honey seems very cute (too cute?). And who wouldn't like a dog wearing daisies?


,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well-meaning Marc has terrible taste in collars, I'm afraid. Definitely too masculine.
The bees are adorable, but maybe too adorable. I do like the thought of sweet Honey-bee, though.
For my money I'd go with the daisies. They suit her personality. (person-ality? dog-ality? what is the correct word for this?!)
And surely everyone likes a dog wearing daisies.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Jill Bryant said...

Thanks, catbird! I like that one, too. I think she will look very sweet and it will reflect her dogality...

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jill, I am so enjoying your blogs! I have a six-month-old rescue pit bull (+ lab-x + three cats, sheesh) but have fallen in love with the pit bull breed.

There is a new collar site just up by two pittie owners and they have some lovely pit-girly designs: www.collarmania.com.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Jill Bryant said...

The collarmania.com collars are GREAT!! Thank you so much for writing in. I might have to do another collar post just so I can talk about their stuff...

I'm so glad you took in a rescue pit. I'm also an equal opportunity animal lover but - there is definitely something so special about pits that it makes you feel lucky to have one. If you have any pics, I'd love to see them.

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you like Collarmania - can't wait for my little guy, Brody, to stop growing so he can get the collar he deserves. And pics? Like only a truckload or so :-) Thank you for asking, will gladly share if only I can figure out how - However. . . his foster mom's picture of him with his foster sister will be featured in the Pit Bull Rescue Central 2007 Happy Endings Calendar :-)))

2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Collarmania is great! My friend's pit/sharpei has the cutest pink leather collar complete with rhinestones. I think Honey would be stylin' in something like that. ;-)

8:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I would love to see more pictures of Goth. She absolutely looks like our Darcy who is also a weimaraner/rottweiler mix. Her picture is in my profile.

Please let me know where your neighbor got her from, I'm curious to know.

Thank you

5:29 AM  
Blogger Jill Bryant said...

I will ask them. We live in Oxnard Shores, CA. I don't know if that is where they got Goth. She is THE sweetest. I'll let you know when I find out.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds great. We got Darcy from Fork Union Military Academy. I just can't imagine too many weimaraner/rottweiler mixes in the world. She was born in Dec of 97.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds great. We got Darcy from Fork Union, VA. She is all black with yellow round weimaraner eyes. I can't imagine too many weim/rotts running around as I knew the litter that she came from. It would be cool to know if Goth is a littermate or even if she is not, that there are more weim/rotts running around

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home